As one of Northern California's wine pioneers, the Guglielmo family has been producing award-winning wines in the Santa Clara Valley since 1925, a winemaking tradition that has spanned three generations.
Born in 1883 in Gravere, an alpine village northwest of Torino near the French border in Italy's Piedmont region, family patriarch, Emilio Guglielmo arrived upon Ellis Island on September 19, 1909. For the next nine months Emilio worked his way westward arriving in San Francisco in June of 1910. Upon his arrival and establishment of himself he sent for his village sweetheart, Emilia, and they were married in November of that same year. For the next fifteen years they worked and saved with Emilio toiling away at a tannery and Emilia a French laundry. By 1925, with their saved earnings they purchased fifteen acres in Morgan Hill of Santa Clara Valley, commonly referred to at time as the 'valley of hearts delight' due to the bountiful orchards and rich agricultural community. It was at this time Emilio Guglielmo Winery, was founded.
In 1945, the winery was passed down to Emilio's son, George W. Guglielmo and his wife Madeline upon George W.'s return from World War II. Working together, the couple expanded the winery's estate vineyards and distribution channels. By 1969, George W., with the influence of his eldest son George E., began the implementations of new ideas into the family business. This period saw an introduction of new refrigerated stainless steel fermentation tanks and small oak cooperage, as well as the production of the winery's first premium varietal wine, a 1969 estate-bottled Petite Sirah.
Today, third generation brothers George E., Gene and Gary retain the family tradition of producing award-winning premium varietal wine from the now more than 100 acres of Santa Clara Valley estate vineyards, as well as wines from other premium wine growing regions within California.